Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy Wednesday, Class!


Teaching today was, well, less than stellar--to put it mildly.  Knowing full well what my supervising teacher was going to say about my lesson, I walked into my review with confidence and said, "So, should I read you my list of everything that went wrong, or would you prefer to tell me yourself?"  He had quite a laugh about that, which lightened the mood a bit.  All of his feedback was done in a really positive way, and he was very kind about picking the mistakes from which I could learn best for my next lesson.  I left the room feeling better about the whole affair, but I needed to feel even better than that...I needed something to perk me up.

The first person I saw after exiting the reviewing room was a classmate who hails from Texas.  Last week we had been declaring our mutual love of Mexican food, and talking about how much we miss Chipotle.  I walked straight up to her, "My lesson was terrible; my review was alright.  What are you doing for dinner?  Because I need a fiesta."  We agreed to gather up the usual suspects (as usual as one can be after two and a half weeks), and meet at a designated spot in a half hour.

On the way to Las Adelitas--located, curiously enough, on Americka Street--we exited the Metro station at Namesti Miru and came upon this view:


The restaurant was a walk of a few blocks; the Texan and I had to hold back from breaking out into a sprint to the front door.  When I heard two men speaking Spanish on the patio I knew I was in a 'comfort zone'...it was (kind of) like I was home!  After much deliberation over which item on the menu I have missed the most since I've left California, I settled on the chicken floutas.  Despite the lack of authenticity I thought the Czech kitchen did very well (sorry for the slight blur):


It was everything I had hoped it would be...and more.  I closed this challenging Wednesday out with the company of five delightful people--four of them new friends, a lot of laughs and a basket of tortilla chips (complete with salsa).   Thus a mediocre day was successfully turned into a fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment