Monday, August 8, 2011

Day Two: When the Gang Turns Rebellious

The "mystery" of the 'Beer Gardens' was solved after a metro ride, a transfer, and a long trek uphill with a bunch of people whose names I continually failed to remember.  Just when I was about to make a sarcastic comment about the incline to a place I was told didn't serve food we rounded the corner and came upon this:





 Yes, that is Prague Castle in the background.  Needless to say, the hike was totally worth it.  And for the record, the 'Beer Gardens' did serve some sort of kielbasa--but I had to pay five extra crowns for a plastic fork...which I then lost three prongs of in the remainder of my sausage.  I extracted said prongs inconspicuously, so as not to confuse these new acquaintances and gave the remainder of the sausage to a dog that was stalking me.  He continued to stare at me until his owner left, hugging and kissing each tree as he exited the 'garden'--the owner, that is, not the dog.


Thus comes the second day, when we got rebellious.  Showing up for a tour with an indefinite time limit on an empty stomach is not recommended--problem number one.  Problem number two was the guides; though knowledgeable, they couldn't have been more disinterested.  I'm not sure how they were affiliated with the school, but they did their main task as far as I am concerned--I now know where the post office is and how to use the tram (which is different from the metro we mastered the night before).  It was at Prague Castle when ten of us lost the guide and decided to take this as an omen to get food.  Beef goulash and bread dumplings smothered in gravy.  I love Prague.

(Side note: I'm slightly concerned that meals like the one previously mentioned, and the fried cheese 'burger' with curry-ketchup the night before--after the kielbasa--will conflict with the new svelt, Czech-model Lindsay you've all been expecting to emerge...but these concerns arise only when food is not in front of me)
Our view from lunch





Another interesting tidbit about lunch is that our waitress looked like Victoria Beckham, something that Maddie, from Wisconsin, was equally as thrilled about.

The rest of the day was taken up with a jaunt across the Charles Bridge, a Czech supermarket (where they have small carts in the form of rolling backpacks), and me taking the metro back with a twelve-pack of toilet paper--which the checker wouldn't give me a bag for.

No comments:

Post a Comment