Saturday, September 24, 2011

24-Hours' Worth of Observations on Taipei

1.  With the purchase of bottled water at 7-11 you receive a free straw.

This is considerate, except for the fact that not all straws are long enough for all bottles of water.  I opted out of using the complimentary straw because I didn't want to walk down the street fishing within my bottle for the straw (or luxury) every time I felt parched.  Though I appreciated the gesture I could only see it going wrong--ending with me looking like a foolish tourist.  Again.

2.  Tissues and toilet paper are interchangeable.

And they both serve as napkins, too!  In fact, there is barely a differentiating factor between the two of them except for the size of the square.  Both products are manufactured in a plastic travel-like container.  Both products are readily available in public restrooms.  Both products are soft to the touch.  I suppose they'd like to leave the deciding factor up to you...base it off of mood, if you will.

3.  Mopeds act as both vehicles and pedestrians.

Yes, it is as dangerous as it sounds.  And it completely wipes away all chance of highway hypnosis (or whatever one calls it while walking); a true pedestrian must always be alert and ready.  The interesting thing about these mopeds is that they will cross the street in the normal flow of traffic and then enter the pedestrian crossing to make an immediate turn, should their destination call for that.  And while we're on the topic, let's talk about the amount of mopeds in this city...it's outrageous!  The moped parking lots look like a tangle of metal and loud noises--very overwhelming.  Oh, also they travel in packs.  So, look out for that.

4.  The night markets are full of delightful foods, and not all are smelly.

Though, let's be serious, some of the food smells rank.  There's one particular scent so pungent it literally stings my nostrils...I have to barrel through the crowds to get out of it's smoldering range.  On the other hand, thus far I have thoroughly enjoyed the (delightful) dumplings, (fantastic) fried sweet potatoes, and the (phenomenal) pancakes with your choice of filling--obviously I chose chocolate.  There were many other intriguing dishes served up by the many (many, many) food carts, but not all are deemed totally safe by 'Lindsay Standards'.  Example: I got extremely excited by the prospect of fried potatoes (naturally), and when I inquired about them I was warned that they may, or may not, be 'fried octopus balls'.  No, thank you!  Word to the wise: Eat with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment